The past week I have been getting ready to fly to LA and then Australia! It is surreal that after months of thinking about going abroad to Australia this journey is finally beginning!
Packing was far more difficult than I expected because I am packing for two seasons and this is the longest time period I have ever been away! Ultimately with some help from my amazing and very organized friend I was able to pack up two large suitcases, one duffle carry on, and a backpack!
Key preparation tips that I found helpful:
- Less is more. If you haven’t worn it in a year or more theres probably a reason! Abroad is not the place to try it out.
- Separate the bags based on season and try to keep the clothes folded or in space bags.
- Remember that if you forgot something it probably was not the most important thing on your list! The most important things (passport, medications, phone plans, finances, plan tickets, visa). If you have these you are good to go!
- There is no way to be fully prepared. How can anyone prepare to live away from home for 5 months in an entirely new place? The answer is, you can’t but this is actually the beauty. Embrace uncertainty, accept that there will be challenges, and know that with a good attitude and laughter you will be able to get through anything!
- Lastly, drink lots of water, exercise, and keep calm! Stress, anxiety, jitters, and dehydration are not helpful when traveling long distances on planes. Keep up your daily routines at home even when your in the air or en route.
Mindbodygreen offers some great tips on how to combat jetlag!